Keibul Lamjao National Park is the only floating national park in the world. It is located in Bishnupur district of the state Manipur it covers around 40km.sq of area. The park has a swampy with floating mass of vegetation termed as plasmids.
Loktak Lake is the source of water and the waterway through the park. It is one of the largest freshwater lakes in the entire world. Loktak Lake boasts of housing the one and only natural floating island situated on a river in the entire world.
Not only this destination is good for a quick tour trip but also it allows you to seek the beautiful sight scenery through the sunrise and sunsets view. The atmosphere of Manipur is very much pleasant and the culture here has a history to live within the people. The boat ride through the lake gives a good viewing experience of nature’s wildlife which also soothes the mind.
The park is famous for Eld’s deer or dancing deer or brow-antlered deer or sangai, listed as an endangered species by IUCN
Due to the more water resource, the aquatic flora is well flourished in this national park. Some animals like wild boar, large Indian civet, common otter, hog deer, sambar, blue crested lizard, Asian rock python, Black kite, spot bill duck, common crap, pool barb, etc.
The best time to visit this park is between October and March as the lake water levels are suitable to explore the park.
The park is approachable by road, rail, and air through Imphal, the capital of Manipur.
By road, it is 53km from Imphal. The nearest railway station is Dimapur and the air services available to Imphal from major cities such as Calcutta, Delhi, Guwahati, and Mumbai.
Other Interesting attractions within 100kms from the national park.
Wildlife and Nature
1. Sirohi national park – This place is famous for the hilltop views and this also makes the home for the tiger, lion, leopards, and tragopan it is considered as a paradise of the exotic Shirui lily flower. It has a mixed dense tropical and temperate forest which makes the atmosphere very much pleasant.
2. Manipur zoo – Manipur Zoological Garden is a home to about 400 common and rare species of animals and birds. It is surrounded by the green hill from all the side. This zoo is the jewel box of Manipur.
3. Sadu chiru waterfall – Sadu Chiru Fall is also known as Leimaram Fall because of its closeness to Leimaram in the Bishnupur district of Manipur, the name of the waterfall is given after the name of Sadu Chiru hill. It is around 29km from Imphal and falls under the Senapati District. Sadu Chiru Waterfall is the most popular waterfall in Manipur. The waterfall is 15m high and surrounded by thick tropical forests.
1. Red Hill Lokpaching – The Red Hill Lokpaching is located on Tiddim Road and is a site where British and Japanese fought a battle during World War II. One can absorb the historical information and can feel the past decades of the long history took place.
2. Khwairamband Bazar- It is a market run exclusively by women in Imphal. It is a commercial center and a popular tourist attraction in the state of Manipur. It was established in the 16th century and hosts around 5,000–6,000 women vendors who sell a variety of products. Products such as vegetables, fruits, textiles, toys fish, spices, and utensils. Are available in the market. It is the largest all-women market in Asia.
3. Manipur state museum – It is a major tourist attraction of the state. The museum has galleries that house materials of natural history, ethnology, and archaeology. The museum’s collection includes tribal ornaments, Manipuri textiles, agricultural equipment, and other items of cultural relevance to the state. The most striking feature of the place is Hiyang Hiren, a royal boat which is 78 feet long, situated in an open gallery
4. Kangla fort – It is the most important historical and archeological site of Manipur. As this fort has a many war history which seems like a storyteller for the wars happened one can see the different historical imprints. People also come to worship here.
The one who is nature’s lover can give a shot to visit this place because it has lots to give its uniqueness to the world can be seen by its natural beauty and the love and kindness this Manipur culture gives you is memorable and also makes your journey beautiful with its beauty.