On 1st January of every year, with great enthusiasm we embark upon them, promising ourselves that this year will be different. But in most cases this enthusiasm does not last even a month, and when we question ourselves that why we again failed. Personal and professional commitments take toll on us and these new year resolutions become yet again a forgotten memory only to be remembered on the next new year.
So if becoming fit and healthy is part of your bucket list for the next year, here’s a list of some easy but amazing resolutions just for you. Dive right in to become a healthier you.
1) Drink more water – 60% of our body is made up of water which itself highlights its importance for healthy living. It prevents dehydration, removes fatigues, flushes out toxins, facilitates weight loss and reduces the chances of occurrence of diseases, to name a few. So if your current water intake is less than the recommended amount here are a few tips for you. Always keep a water bottle with you and make deadlines by which you have to finish the bottle. Make sure you drink at least 2.5 liters of water every day. Drink at least 2 glasses of water after waking up.
To add flavor, you can also add lemons, mint, cinnamon etc.
2) Learn the art of rightful eating – It is not just important to eat right but also to eat at the right time. Try to cook instead of ordering and even if you have to order, go for options that have high nutritional value like veggies, pulses etc. and are boiled instead of fried. Give those sugar and oil loaded snacks a miss and graze on something healthier and filling like nuts, cereals and fruits. Skipping meals is big no.
Contrary to the common belief, this results in increased fatigue and weight gain. Make sure you get your breakfast within an hour of waking up, and dinner at least 2 hrs. before going to bed.
3) De–stressing is important – Well, who isn’t stressed these days. What is important and realistic is not to avoid taking stress but to find a proper outlet for that stress.
Find what brings you peace, be it music, art, sports, vacationing or having a conversation with your trusted friend and make sure that the next time you freak out you turn to these, instead of falling into those unhealthy practices like binge eating.
4) Get moving – Sitting has been recently labelled as the ‘new smoking’. So its imperative to be mindful of this silent killer and introduce necessary changes in our lifestyle. Don’t sit at a stretch for more than 1 hr. Get up and move around. Also, go for any aerobic exercise at least 4 times a week.
You can walk, jog, go to the gym or play any sport and can also couple it with your favorite tunes to make it enjoyable. It will keep you refreshed, energized and you will end up love doing it.
5) Practice meditation – Meditation does to the mind what exercise does to the body. It involves allowing your mind to dissolve into nothingness, which helps increase concentration, removes stress and develops in the practitioner a state of physical, emotional and spiritual well-being. So make sure to meditate at least 4 times a week for a duration of 30 minutes.
6) Get more sleep – Importance of sleep in not something unheard of, but still it remains to be our least priority. The practice of staying awake till late followed by early morning commitments can severely affect our sleeping habits, making us temperamental and drowsy all day long.
To avoid this, getting a minimum of 6 hrs. of sleep every night is must. Also avoid using any gadget for at least 30 minutes before you plan to hit the couch.
7) Check your screen time –Gadgets of every type be it phones, laptops, tablets etc. have become our best buddies. However, what we fail to notice is how dangerous their excessive use is. They not only mentally drain us, but also affect our eyes and cause stress. What you can do is look for alternatives to gadgets and also whenever you are working on a screen, ensure there is sufficient lightning, proper ventilation, and that you take frequent breaks.
8) Always wear a sunscreen – Skin cancer is affecting people at a rampant rate especially in countries lying in the tropical and temperate belts. Although vitamin D is also very vital, it is best to indulge into foods rich in vitamin D like castor oil, milk etc. instead of exposing your skin to excessive sunlight.
9) Travel – It’s very important to get out of that monotonous, routine life once in a while to explore something new and different. It will not only charge up your batteries making you feel revitalized and replenished, but you will also get to learn and discovery new things.
10) Go for regular checkups – Regular checkups enable you to monitor your health. It gives you a picture of the current situation using which you can take necessary action to improve your health.
So do give your eye doctor, dentist and general physician, at least 1 visit every 6 months.